Re: installing linux for a blind person

I've tried only speakup and oralux but I like them both. Oralux runs off a live CD meaning you boot from the CD. I guess it's possible to install it on a hard drive but that is not really how it's intended. But it's very nice asas a learning tool. You should be able to just burn the CD, put it in your computer, boot, answer some questions and you're running linux. You don't even need another machine. You can boot your windows machine with Oralux and go back to Windows when you're done playing with Oralux.

But I also think speakup is great. I have an external synth and that makes it very easy to install. It works very well.

Oralux is at oralux.org and speakup is at linux-speakup.org. The linux-speakup.org web site is kind of slow so when downloading, you might try
ftp://mirror.services.wisc.edu/mirrors/linux/distributions/speakup/

Samuel Thibault wrote:
Hi,

william windels, le Fri 03 Feb 2006 00:12:47 +0100, a écrit :
> Can somebody sugest a good (blindfriendly) distribution that I can install
> on my own?
> I prefer a debian-based system but if there are other suggestions , it's
> also good.

There are debian installation "access floppies", see
http://brl.thefreecat.org/wiki/moin.cgi/debian

Regards,
Samuel

John G. Heim