Beginning questions:

I have no experience in Linux.  However, I am interested in beginning my little adventure with it.  Actually, I have been given the task of learning Linux, which I just needed a reason to get into it, and producing a project for my 500 level networking class.  I am a blind user and therefore will need some help.  With just a computer, with Fedora loaded on it, and just a standard sound car, is it possible to get a open soarse speech software package.  If not, is there a method I could use to access a Linux system, from my windows system, and have full access to it's functionality.  Please direct me to where I can get some help or offer me some advice on this list.  Thanks so much!

Charles E. Black
BEGIN:VCARD
VERSION:2.1
N:Black;Charles;E.
FN:Charles E. Black
TEL;HOME;VOICE:(803)790-5586
ADR;HOME:;;4127 Pinehaven Ct.;Columbia;SC;29205;USA
LABEL;HOME;ENCODING=QUOTED-PRINTABLE:4127 Pinehaven Ct.=0D=0AColumbia, SC 29205=0D=0AUSA
EMAIL;PREF;INTERNET:charleseblack@xxxxxxxxx
REV:20060121T035522Z
END:VCARD