Re: Getting started

Hello Odd,

On Sat, 5 Nov 2005, Odd Martin Baanrud wrote:

Hello,

I plan to install Linux on a 21 GB harddrive.
I have some questions, which I hope someone can answer.

What distribution should I use?

I use Fedora Core 4 with which I'm very happy.

Is it possible to get my Braille Voyager functioning durring the installation?

Yes, if you download the braillified version installation disc ISO from http://www.mielke.cc/brltty.

And/or, is it possible to get speech?
I don't have an external synth, so it must be via the sound card.

Witch programs are the best for:
* Mail

I use Pine.
* News

Pine takes care of that, too.
* Web browsing

I use Links 2. In my opinion, it's much easier to use with braille. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to support Javascript totally. I have problems with banks and airlines.

* Listening to diffrent kinds of multimedia.

Mplayer.

* IRC
* Speech
* Sound recording/editing