Losing modules

Greetings,

I've just installed Fedora Core 4. Apart from Grub being very slow when booting up and not being able to boot Windows 98SE, which I've solved by producing a bootup CD, when I try to activate the speaker typing "depmod pcspkr", I lose the function of several modules, such as sound, network and the ability to access vfat. Needless to say the the PC speaker hasn't been activated.

Any ideas?

Bertil