Need help with Festival and Dectalk Rt

Hello all. I am new to linux so sorry if I'm asking questions that have been answered before. I am having trouble getting festival and dectalk to work. I have installed festival but it doesn't seem to wan't to talk. I am using Deabian linux 3.1 sarge with the Speakup curnal Version 2.6. I downloaded festival from debian using apt-get to download and install the package but it doesn't want to talk. My sound is working because I can play a CD from the gnome desktop. I also purchased a copy of Dectalk rt. I have unpacked the file but I can't run the installer. Is there a spesific directory I need to unpack the files into in order to get the installer to run? If your needing information on the soundcard, it's a soundblaster live value. Thanks