Is Samba the Best Way?

Hi All: Tomorrow I will finally have my linux machine connected with a windows 98 laptop. I will get a kvm switch. Questions? First of all, which reliable router would be l y n x accessable, hawking sure wasn't--and eventually quit. 2nd, what will be a best way to seemlessly have access to the laptop, where I can move-and-copy files? The laptop-and-hopefully desktop machines will run jaws. The desktop machine in linux will run speakup--and-hopefully YASR.
Thanks in advance for tips-and-tricks
Hart