Re: sound and linux

yes. Download alsa-utils-1.0.8.tar.gz from http://alsa-project.org/alsa-utils/ and build it as root on your system. Once finished you'll have alsaconf on your system it's a script. Run it and agree to having your /etc/modules.conf modified. Don't worry if you get can't find rc.alsasound. Once done, aumix -v 100; aumix -p 100; aumix -c 100; aumix -m 100; alsactl store; shutdown -r now. When you reboot try using aplay or play to play a sound file you find in /usr/share/sounds. If that works you're in business. I don't have a bugzilla account so can't file a bug with the fedora project. The fedora project has for x-window users system-configure-soundcard that is fine for x-window users but doesn't do a thing for speakup and other screen reader users.