Riptide soundcard

Greetings,

I'm using an HP Pavillion 8528 desktop computer which has a Riptide soundcard. I'm running Fedora Core 1, since Riptide doesn't seem to want to work with kernel 2.6 with the driver supplied by Conexant. With kernel 2.4 it works reasonably ok, apart from the fact that I'm unabale to record. When I try to do that, I get a message saying "<RT_HW> ERROR!!! Start DMA is failed". After that, some programs start behaving in a funny way and I have to reboot.

OSS claims to provide a driver in their package. It installs without any problems and I receive optimistic messages when I type "soundon". However, there is no sound. This is regardless of whether I use kernel 2.4 or 2.6, both of which are supposed to be supported.

Is anybody else blessed with a Riptide soundcard?

Any ideas would be very much appreciated.

Bertil Smark Nilsson