Re: Creating Swap Areas

Why is a swap partition more efficient than a file?

Hopefully my previous post answered this. If it didn't make sense, feel free to ask about particulars of it and I can try to address specific items where I wasn't clear.

Finally, what is this CF/M / ïCTOS partition that I have?

CP/M was a semi-predecessor to Dos, most commonly run on Commodore computers. (can't tell you much more than that--I was an Apple kid, rather than a Commodore kid) I'm guessing that the partition table hadn't been properly configured or something of the like. I'd first make sure that it's not actually being used, though I suspect that it's not--unless something totally bogus happened during the install. You've really gotta try fairly hard to get most Linux installers to create a CP/M partition, and then install on it. Thus, I *suspect* it's fairly safe to blow it away, and change the partition type to something useful like ext2/3, ReiserFS, JFS, XFS, Linux Swap, or even FAT if you're dual-booting with Windows/Dos and want to share files between them...I tend to keep my MP3/OGG/WAV collection in a FAT partition so I can play them from any of the OS's I boot (Windows, Linux, or OpenBSD).

Just to make sure, I'd check with "fdisk" to see which drive/partition it's on, and then check the output of "mount" to see if it's mounted anywhere (and thus in use). If it's not, I'd say you're fairly safe to give it the big heave-ho.

-tim