Re: Handling Mail on Debian

First of all, I'd advise you to make sure you have exim and not exim4; exim is a version 3. When I reinstalled, both were apparently installed and exim4 gave me all kinds of problems. If you have exim installed, you can use eximconfig to configure it or you can edit the /etc/exim/exim.conf yourself.
It's been a long time since I installed mutt, but I think I had to create my own .muttrc. There are some good resources if you use google that show .muttrc files; otherwise, I'm sure I and others could send you samples.
I believe I've told you this before, but you don't have to use mutt if you want to continue to use Pine. There's a deb package for pine right on the pine site; you just download it and do
dpkg -i
with the name of the package.

By the way, this may not happen to you but I've had some mail mysteriously disappear recently when using exim and fetchmail--just since this last debian reinstall. If you have a problem, it is quite possible to fetch your mail with mutt. Sometimes i fetch mail with mutt and read it in Pine, though of course I can also read it in mutt.

-- Cheryl