cd burner partly working

On redhat 8.0, I have an HL-DT-ST cd burner running. It reads disks with no problem. If I make an iso image with text files in it and directory structure and try to burn it to a cd, the burn is good. Afterwards I can read what I've burnt. Unfortunately, on that same system with that same CD burner with the same setup, it will not burn a good copy of fedora core 2 install disks. Later this weekend, I'll try mounting those iso's from the hard drive and try the install on the hard drive. Those iso's were downloaded with rsync so I'm pretty confident I at least have good isos. The burner may only be marginal so I have a replacement burner sony 52 50 which may work better.