Re: salvaging laptop files

You may be able to use any number of the rescue discs that are out there. Tom's Root Boot disk fits a number of handy utilities on a single floppy--fast to download, and easy to use. However, I'm not sure the support it may have for any accessible technologies. It may, at a minimum, allow you to use a serial console to your other PC over a null-modem cable. You can find it at

http://www.toms.net/rb/

Alternatively, for a beefier download (hoping you've got broadband, 'cuz downloading ISO images over dialup is no fun) you could snag Knoppix, Oralux, or one of its kin. This would allow you to have access to samba, NFS, as well as Apache and perhaps even an FTP daemon, which could be configured to share the stuff on your drive that's going ka-put. Likewise, if they're on the same network (which it sounds like they are, as you want to use Samba to shovel the files across) you can telnet/ssh from your Windows box to the freshly booted Knoppix/Oralux/whatever box and access & configure it remotely.

I'm not sure if Tom's Root Boot disk allows you to pass in kernel parameters at boot time, but the magic parameters would be the usual

lilo:  linux console=tty0 console=ttyS0,9600n8

(perhaps adjusted for GRUB if you use that instead)

I hope this gets you on the road to recovery!

-tim