extracting .rar files in Linux?

Well, some weeks ago I inquired here about why I couldn't extract .rar files? I did receive some valuable responses. I discovered that I can only extract archives with .r01 style, but not the newer part01.rar. I have been googling--and it looks like only windows can handle these? I have read the commandline options for rar and unrar, both from the same author. Are their replacement programs which would better handle these?
I also have a linux version of par2 but I don't know if there are ways to extract? Thanks so much in advance.
O, one of the options is to use vn for old style names. Well, this didn't work either
Hart