Testing a Steno keyboard

I'm beginning work on a real-time captioning program. This is of interest
at least to the deaf-blind people on this list. Soon I will have a steno
keyboard, like the ones used by court reporters, hooked up to a serial
prot on my Linux machine. I have no technical information about the
keyboard. What program can I use to find out its baud rate, data bits,
etc.? It probably sends several characters in quick succession, and these
may not be ASCII. Will this program display these characters?

Eventually, the real-time captioning program will perform keyboard
emulation, like some of the drivers in brltty. How does brltty do this?
I've been looking at the Braille Lite driver, but I can't find out how it
gets the input into the system's keyboard buffer or whatever.

Thanks,
John

--
John J. Boyer; Executive Director, Chief Software Developer
Computers to Help People, Inc.