emacspeak on slackware 9.1?

Has anyone managed to get that combination verbal? There was a 1 line patch to insert at top of server files /usr/bin/tcl and some variables to export and I got that all done but it had no noticeable auditory effects. I was using the emacspeak-ss-1.9.1 package that came on the slackware 9.1 disk in the extra directory on disk 2 when all of this happened.