Re: braillified Fedora core 2 installation

Hi, Cheryl:

Glad to hear you've had success. It's definitely not the easiest install to have success with, which is why there's a HOWTO.

And, I think you're right about redoing your partitioning. The realy downside to the default partitioning scheme is that it makes it harder to protect user data such as /home and /usr/local. If there's only a little content in this directories, I suppose this isn't so much a problem. But, if there are gigs and gigs of such data, it's a serious issue.

So, I guess I'm saying to do this sooner rather than later--before you acquire too much in /home.

Cheryl Homiak writes:
> Well, Janina, you won't find out by me if you're wrong because I suspect
> you are right.
> I went ahead and followed the steps for turning off firstboot and kudzu
> and cups and my machine booted fine. But due to the fact that i hadn't
> noticed I had the caps lock key on when I typed my root password, my caps
> and lowercase password characters were reversed and i couldn't log in;
> fortunately the three-finger salute worked. Then I used the braillified
> disk so I could access the first cd as a rescue disk and was able to set
> up brltty at boot and change the run level etc., and when I finished i was
> able to boot and figure out my login problem. I think I probably had an ok
> install with speakup too; i'm sure there must have been a minor mistake
> that kept it from talking and I don't think it was booting completely
> because I got beeps when trying to log in, but this way I'll be
> well-versed in FC
> installation. I will probably do it again eventually because I never did
> manage disk druid and finally just allowed the automated
> partitioning--yuck!!! So i'll probably go in and wrestle with it again
> eventually.
>
> --
> Cheryl
>
> "Where your treasure is, there will your heart be also."

				Janina Sajka, Director
				Technology Research and Development
				Governmental Relations Group
				American Foundation for the Blind (AFB)