smil audio format

Is there a way to get trplayer to play SMIL encapsulated audio streams?
My version of trplayer  gives me the dreaded "Some components are
not available to provide playback of this presentation" message.

On the other hand I discovered that if I download the  SMIL data, the excapsulated
audio URL is readily played by trplayer directly.

E.g. In the following NPR hourly news SMIL data:
<smil>
<audio src="rtsp://real.npr.na-central.speedera.net/real.npr.na-central/news.db.rm" />
</smil>

If I take the rts URL and give it as an argument to trplayer it works fine.
It is only the encapsulating SMIL tags that is confusing trplayer.

So if anyone knows how to get trplayer to interpret this SMIL stuff
directly, please advise.

Thanks,
Rudy