Re: Any OCR programs for Linux that output ASCII Text?

Sounds like something worthwhile to try.

Go for it!

Luke

At 08:11 AM 27/03/2004, John J. Boyer wrote:
This looks like it might be a good programming project for me - writing a
filter that accepts an image file and produces text. It would be Open
Source and free. I could probably use a lot of the code from the JOCR
project, but get rid of the graphics interface. I've been looking for a
useful and exciting project for a while.

Comments?

John

On Fri, 26 Mar 2004, Terry Klarich wrote:

> On Fri, 26 Mar 2004 10:46:21 -0600you write:
> > I am looking for applications that take an image file such as
> >from a document scanner or decoded PDF and output ASCII text.
> >
> > My only other hope is that it works via command line.
>

> Hey Martin:
>
> So, how's it going?
>
> I specifically use and highly recommend vividata's product. It is not free though. However, it is well worth the money. I think
> the licensing fee is about $250 or so.
>
> It is nothing more than a filter. I use sane to get the scanner image. Sane creates a tiff file. vividata then takes the tiff
> file and creates a text file. It is very nice and works well.
>
> I have 2 scanners. One is a canon lide scan 30. This scanner is small and fits in my laptop bag. It is powered off the usb bus.
> The other is a microtek scanmaker 12usl. This scanner is much faster; but, much larger. It scans legal sized documents as well.
> I have the best of both worlds now.
>

> The product is called ocrxtr. You should go to www.vividata.com.
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> Terry

John J. Boyer; Executive Director, Chief Software Developer
Computers to Help People, Inc.
http://www.chpi.org
825 East Johnson; Madison, WI 53703