how to load a different release of w3m on Emacs/Debian

Hello,

I installed w3m 0.4 from sources in /usr/local patched with w3m-0.4-js
in order to have javascript support. I also have the following Debian packages
installed on my system : w3m, w3m-el

Now my problem : In Emacs I want to use the w3m I compiled with
javascript support and not the w3m from the Debian package. So, how will
you proceed to indicate that the w3m in /usr/local must be used all the
time and no more the other from Debian package ?
Perhaps removing w3m Debian package will be the solution ? But after
what to indicate to emacs and where ? In my .emacs ? In another place
like /etc/emacs/site-start.d/...
All your ideas are welcome.
Thx in advance,

--