Re: question about logging kernel problems when kernel blows up

On Mon, 26 Jan 2004, [iso-8859-15] Sébastien FRANÇOIS wrote:

 > hi
 > > I have a friend who is trying to help me debug a kernel problem.  I am
 > > wondering if there is any way to log the problems that the kernel
 > > encounters when you load it and it blows up.  He needs this to help me
 > > debug what is wrong.  Thanks for the help.
 > There is a way to request the kernel to send info over a serial line, I have
 > never done this though
it's an option in the kernel itself caleld "output to serial dump
terminal"
it effectively gives all kernel-output over the serial-poort. A bootoption
controls which port is used.
You can also login via the serial terminal, but you have to uncomment the
correct line in /etc/inittab as well to make this possible.

 > there you go: http://kgdb.sourceforge.net/kernel.html
 > Good Luck
 > seb

Andor Demarteau                 E-mail: ademarte@xxxxxxxx
student computer science        www: http://www.students.cs.uu.nl/~ademarte/
UU based & VU guest-student     jabber,icq,msn: do ask ;)