From: blinux-list-admin@xxxxxxxxxx [mailto:blinux-list-admin@xxxxxxxxxx]
On Behalf Of Jois
Sent: Wednesday, January 14, 2004 9:08 AM
To: blinux-list@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Old Braille displays in newest notebooks

Hi,
I must buy a new notebook and I know that serial ports are no longer
built
in new notebooks, but most Braille displays, including my Vario40, are
connected to a serial port.
do the PCMCIA serial cards work well? Are they standard or should I be
careful to some chipsets?
Well, if Alva has released the specifications for USB Alva 544 Satellite

drivers, it shouldn't be a problem, except for $$$ problems to buy the
new one. But, if specification are still top secret, is there another
way to solve
this trouble as Italian TTS softwares have not been released yet and
working with an English one is quite difficult for me and slows my job
down
a lot?
bye
Jois