Re: latest flite?

On 31 Jul 2003, Krishnakant Ramesh Mane wrote:

> you were talking about flite and eflite.  Well I
> don't know what is the latest in that.

Neither do I, which is partly why I
asked/suggested you check.

> I just downloaded flite and eflite some 3 months
> back and I did not like the voices.

Yes, I did so too, and the original 8 bit voice
was as a demo, and they said it was very poor, and
better ones would be coming.

> is there a latest upgrade?

Part of what I was trying to point out, though
probably not clearly enough, was that it might be
time to check for a new version.  Those of us who
are experienced in the open source world can take
it for granted that others know how amazingly fast
projects develop, improve, and change.  Flite
seems to be one of those, with promises of better
voices.  I have already been able to get a newer
version with a much better 16 bit voice, but have
not checked the web site lately to see if more
voices have been converted from the older festival
project.  So I am suggesting you check
periodically.

You can already see the problems that can come
from using proprietary binary packages like
ViaVoice, even if they are "free", as in cost.
Long term, flite and it's java counterpart (clone)
have far more potential utility, in terms of soft
speech.

I view the development of open source soft speech
on today's cheap hardware as of extreme importance
to the blind community, most of whom have no
access to computing, for economic reasons,
according to what I read in a past thread on this
list (wish I could remember the numbers).  It
appears to me that we are on threshold of the
realization of this, as soon as enough of the
better quality voices are converted, and the
binaries are packaged conveniently enough that
non-techie newbies to linux (and for that matter,
any OS -- M$ and add-ons cost too much) can get at
them easily.  Once that happens, the tide of new
computer users into the blinux community should
help to "lift all boats", as it were -- something
that could not happen in the proprietary markets.

> I have not been reading all the mails on the
> blinux list so I may have missed it.

I don't think that each minor release will
necessarily be announced: it may be best to check
the web site periodically, especially if new
voices are what you are primarily interested in.
Let us know if you find anything new, and how it
sounds to you.

LCR

--
L. C. Robinson
reply to no_spam+munged_lcr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

People buy MicroShaft for compatibility, but get
incompatibility and instability instead.  This is
award winning "innovation".  Find out how MS holds
your data hostage with "The *Lens*"; see
"CyberSnare" at
http://www.netaction.org/msoft/cybersnare.html