Re: a problem

On Fri, 25 Jul 2003, Kristoffer Gustafsson wrote:

> WHen i shall start linux it brings up a (repair
> filesystem) message.

Are you waiting till it shuts down properly, and
says so?  Do you need some beeps at the end of the
halt script?

Failing to shutdown properly will force the system
to go through filesystem checking and repair
routines (fsck) during boot, and if it happens
frequently, may eventually result in unrecoverable
filesystem damage.  This is not a problem to many
users, who leave their machines up for weeks or
months at a time, through upgrades and everything
else, with no reboots, so that even a newbie who
just turns their machine off every few weeks may
have no problems.  An occasional fsck (filesystem
check and repair) of the filesystem usually is no
problem.

So how often do you reboot?  The power company did
mine for me just the other day, after about 39 days
of uptime, but the fsck went fine, which is
usually the case (actually, I've been running
linux for years, through many power glitches, and
the fsck has never failed me).  Check your boot
logs for problems when that happens, but you
probably won't find anything of much interest.

LCR

--
L. C. Robinson
reply to no_spam+munged_lcr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx