Re: via voice

Well I don't know about redhat but I have used viavoice
on slackware for a long time. All I ever had to do was
use the --nodeps and --force flags with rpm, then either
source /etc/profile or log out and back in. For example

rpm -ivh ViaVoiceTTS.rpm --nodeps --force

This seems to work on slackware 9, I used it on slackware 7,
and I got it working on slackware 8 by copying a few shared
libraries from slackware 7. People keep saying it only
works on redhat, but I don't think that is true.

Also note that things are a lot more complicated for the
dictation (recognition) stuff. The TTS (text to speech)
part is quite small and doesn't need java. It takes me
no time flat to get ViaVoice TTS working on slackware.
I have used with emacspeak, but not with yasr. I wish
that festival had better voices. If it had voices like
via voice, then I'd stick with festival, since it has
source code, and does get updates. It's really a shame
that IBM discontinued viavoice for linux.

-- Doug
---