Re: Papermeier Braillex ELBA note taker

Do you seriously believe, that the reason the prices are so high, is
because these blindness companies wish to make a massive profit?

If you do, I have this bridge in Brooklyn which I have been wishing to
sell at a loss.

Let's look at cars.

Sales on cars increase each year.  Now, is that because cars are cheap?
No, it's because more and more people need cars.  Further, cars break
down, are destroyed, or more than one person in the family needs one.  That
has the effect of lowering the cost of cars for everyone, because supplies
for their construction can be ordered in larger quantities, and more money
can be made across the vast quantity of cars, than can be made across a few
cars, at high prices.

I just described two conditions, which do not exist in the braille display
market.

First, let us consider that less than 50 percent of blind people even know
braille.  Then, let us consider that less than thirty percent own
computers.  Then, consider that at least half of those who do own
computers, use speech.
(I do not guarantee my numbers)

Now, consider that this is a market that is not growing very much, as the
population expands, and even less given the braille user, and computer
user, factors above.
It is also highly unlikely, that you will have two blind, computer,
braille users, in the same household.

On top of that, not only are braille displays made well enough that they
can last twenty-five years, because of their initial price, people tend to
take extraordinarily good care of them, as they are not likely to be able
to afford another one.

I keep hearing of grants.  How many here have actually received a grant to
pay for their braille display?  I suspect it doesn't happen as much as
people want you to think.  State rehab agencies are not easy to handle,
and often your plan for your life, and their plan for your life, do not
even come close to being the same.
I certainly received no grants for any of my computer equipment, and most
people I know, have experienced major problems with getting these
organizations to pay for things, and certainly not in a timely fashion.

All of these factors add up, to a stagnant market, with an amazingly low
attrition rate.

I'm guessing, that most of you have never been in the manufacturing
business.  So it may be hard for you to believe, but it is true, that you
actually have to *pay* workers to put all of those tiny parts together
into a braille cell, and <gasp> you actually have to pay other workers, to
put those cells together in the configuration of a braille display, not to
mention all of the other pieces of hardware necessary to make a braille
display work.  And for what?  To sell, maybe, a hundred per year?
A braille display is an incredibly complex piece of equipment, and if you
believe they are cheap and easy to make, you have another think coming.
And before you say it: yes, I tried.

The message below, is basicly suggesting that the government, force these
companies to sell braille displays significantly *below* cost.  That is
absurd, and I hope it never happens.  Because if it does, the availability
of companies to produce braille displays, will dry up faster than you can
say "unemployment".

Regards,

Luke