RE: Papermeier Braillex ELBA note taker

Well I said I wasn't going to continue responding to this thread but I'm
afraid that I can't just let this one go. I am certainly not a Freedom
Scientific fan but I can assure you that it does cost something to write a
screen reader. I don't know what their profit margin is but there is the
cost of hiring programmers who don't work cheap. Not just one programmer but
probably a dozen or so. Then there is the cost of all the people who answer
the phone for tech support. Then there is the cost of marketing. For example
to do a conference like CSUN, NFB, ACB it cost a company around $1,000 per 6
foot table plus extras such as electricity, chairs, table cloths and not to
mention the salaries and travel expenses of the people who work the booth.
Talk about a rip off I wish I could rent a six foot table for a thousand
dollars a week!

	I'm sure you are right that they have duplicators to manufacturer the disk.
However what about the people who run the machines. How about the shipping
cost and the packing materials. How about the cost of paying someone to make
the tape tutorials and duplicate the tapes. Anyway, I have also never been
able to buy a copy of Windows for $19.00 I think the last copy of Windows XP
I bought was around $200.00.

	The story is even worse for hardware manufactures. I can assure you that we
don't mass produce Braille displays. Certainly not in the terms of other
products. We run some components through an assembly line but our runs may
be 100 units instead of 10,000 units for a product that sells to the general
population. Many parts of the Elba are assembled by hand. It just has to be
that way. The large assembly lines used by say toshiba certainly are more
efficient but only because they produce such large numbers. It cost
manufacturers tens of millions of dollars to build a plant like that. Once
again the cost can be recovered if you sell a million copies of something.
There are only around 900,000 blind people in the U.S. Out of those less
than10% are Braille users. So if we sold an Elba to everyone who could use
one, we would sellmaybe 80,000 units. We all know that we will never sell an
Elba to everyone in the U.S. who could use one. If for no other reason than
that there are many companies competing for this market.

	I do understand the frustration of not being able to afford these products.
I've been blind all my life and I have had to work hard to scrape together
the money for my technology too. I used to get very angry about the prices
of technology. I guess I still do. However, now that I work in the field I
understand that there really are issues that keep the prices high.

	All I ask is that you really think the issue through before you jump to the
conclussion that we are all ripping you off.

Tommy

redhat.com]On Behalf Of Lorenzo Prince