Re: burning a cd

You can use cdrecord to burn CDs. It comes with
most linux distributions. It is part of cdrtools.
On slackware, it's in this package:

ftp://ftp.slackware.com/pub/slackware/slackware-9.0/slackware/ap/cdrtools-2.0-i386-1.tgz

If the cdrom drive is IDE (ATAPI) then you need to
use the SCSI emulation kernel drivers. I had to add
kernel parameters in LILO so that the ide-cd driver
didn't load, instead loading the ide-scsi driver.
On my system, the LILO entry is like this:

 image = /boot/vmlinuz
  root = /dev/hda2
  append = "hdb=ide-scsi"
  label = linux-cdrw
  read-only

The append forced the drive to use the ide-scsi
(SCSI emulation) driver, so cdrecord will work.
If you are not sure which drive letter is your
cdrom, use the dmesg command to look at the
boot message (cdrom should be listed with its
drive letter).

To make this work, it's important that your kernel
uses modules for ATAPI CD (rather than having them
in the kernel statically), or doesn't include the
ide-cd driver. This allows control of driver for
the CD-ROM using kernel parameters (to force it to
use SCSI emulation).

You need a kernel that has SCSI emulation included.
I had to compile one. I made sure that the IDE CD
(ATAPI) driver was NOT statically included, instead
it is a module "M". Added the append = to lilo and
then cdrecord could see the drive.

Once SCSI emulation (ide-scsi driver) is set up
you can try

cdrecord -scanbus

That will scan the SCSI bus and show you the device
numbers of attached SCSI devices (your cdrom appears
as a SCSI device using ide-scsi). The scanbus command
will show you the device number like this:

0,0,0 0) 'TOSHIBA ' 'DVD-ROM SD-M1202' '1020' Removable CD-ROM

In this case the drive is number 0,0,0

Then, to burn an ISO image: cdrecord -v dev=0,0,0 speed=4 mycdimage.iso

You can make an ISO file system using mkisofs

Try these
man cdrecord
man mkisofs

Some sites to check out
http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/CD-Writing-HOWTO.html
http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/linux/library/l-cdburn.html?ca=dgr-lnxw82BurnCDs
http://www.rescomp.berkeley.edu/about/training/allres/CD-Burning-HOWTO/t1.html
http://ldp.kernelnotes.de/HOWTO/mini/MP3-CD-Burning/

There are many wrapper programs that use cdrecord but offer a different user interface (xcdroast etc). I just use plain old cdrecord. Works well!

I have also tried a win32 binary version of cdrtools
running on windows 2000. Nice because it works exactly
the same as on linux. It also works withing cygwin,
which gives you a unix environment on windows boxes.

-- Doug