Re: problem fixed just some questions

On Wed, 2 Jul 2003, Kristoffer Gustafsson wrote:

> i removed the alsa packages and recompiled the
> kernel 2.5.24 with the support for my intel pci
> card.  and it works!!!

That part does.  Changing to a different kernel
series, especially a development one, involves
many, many other things that MUST be done to
remain compatible, as you are finding out.  Your
troubles are just beginning, if my guess is right.
This is not a job for newbies.  You might be able
to find a script front end for all the detailed
tasks that must be done.  Even then you may also
have to replace a bunch of user space programs,
too.  So if you think you are tired of it now....

> 1. where do i edit what keymap linux shall have
> at startup.  i want the se-latin1 swedish as
> default.

On a redhat system (and SuSE was originally redhat
derived), you look for a bootup file in
/etc/init.d (standardized directory) called
something like keytable.  In that file you will
find a line something like the following:
. /etc/sysconfig/keyboard
and that is the file in which you must set the
variables you need.  Mine says simply:
KEYTABLE="us"
But remember, that is Red Hat specific.  See
your initscripts package documentation, or
wherever your distribution keeps it.

> 2. i have still the (none) at login.  what did
> linux meant who was there before and how do i
> put that back?

I assume that your login prompt is what you are
talking about.  That prompt is highly
customizable, and is set through whatever getty
program you use, but it is mostly a matter of
preference.  Just ignore it for now, if the rest
is intelligible enough for you to log in.  If you
go with mgetty (eventually, not now), and are
willing to plow through it's documentation, you
can even get the prompt to beep at you.  But
fooling with that now, with your level of
understanding, could easily make your system
unbootable.  Wait till you know EXACTLY how to
rescue an unbootable system, from a variety of
problems, and ALWAYS make copies of old working
config files, especially getty and inittab config
files (inittab is perhaps the most dangerous file
on the system to fool with -- "init" is the mother
of all user space processes).

> 3. how do i increase/decrease volume on the card?

Use a mixer program.  I like "aumix", especially for
scripting.  There are many others.

LCR

--
L. C. Robinson
reply to no_spam+munged_lcr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

People buy MicroShaft for compatibility, but get incompatibility and
instability instead.  This is award winning "innovation".  Find
out how MS holds your data hostage with "The *Lens*"; see
"CyberSnare" at http://www.netaction.org/msoft/cybersnare.html