Re: SV: kernel compilation

Oops ... yes I forgot about "make dep" ...
Very important step ... right after running
the config.

> can i have my old kernel called vmlinuz and
> in the same directory ave the for example I
> call the new kernel newlin.

Yes, the name vmlinuz is arbitrary.
It can be any name, and you can have
any number of kernels.

> loadlin newlin root=/dev/hda7?

I think that will work, but usually you need an
"ro" at the end indicating "read only":

loadlin newlin root=/dev/hda7 ro

But there are lots of different ways to use loadlin,
so see the docs for loadlin. This is the quickstart
info from inside slackware loadlin tar file.

Copy this file to a DOS partition (e.g C:\LOADLIN).

To boot Linux you need also a compressed kernel image file such as
the "/vmlinuz" or the "/usr/src/zImage". In Slackware distribution you
can find a lot of kernels (bare, scsi, modern, ...) in the directory
..../slackware/kernels of the site you got it from.

Copy the image file to your DOS partion (e.g. C:\).

To boot type at dos prompt:

1. For a Linux partition (ext2, minix, ...) to mount as root

         loadlin c:\vmlinuz root=/dev/hdb2 ro
                                           ==

2. For an UMSDOS filesystem to mount as root

         loadlin c:\vmlinuz root=/dev/hda1 rw
                                           ==

  3. To boot for installation from a ramdisk image as a file
     (may be directly from CD) haveing a kernel >= 1.3.73

loadlin c:zimage root=/dev/ram rw initrd=c:rootdsk.gz

  4. To boot from a SlackWare installation root floppy in drive A:
     having the kernel ( < 1.3.48 ) image file on the hard disk.

loadlin c:bare root=/dev/fd0 rw ramdisk=1440

The same, but with a kernel >= 1.3.48

loadlin c:bare root=/dev/fd0 rw load_ramdisk=1

Dito, but haveing a prompt before insertion of the floppy

loadlin c:bare root=/dev/fd0 rw load_ramdisk=1 prompt_ramdisk=1

NOTE: You must know what root partition to use, the above /dev/xxx
      are only examples !!!