Re: Linux, Windows or both

Michael,

If your computer comes with a big enough disk (most
new ones do) then put both on; you can always get rid
of one or the other later!

I have found linux to be invaluable for learning over
the years. Specifically having a command line solution
to most problems, either command line software or
X/Graphic programs that accept command line flags,
invaluable. I never have to interact with the
graphical interface for most things and can create
scripts to batch process most of my work.

My opinion on the browser issue: several sites
'require' Internet Explorer (IE) because they develop
for the browser and check when you get to the site.
Sometimes you can set Mozilla to emulate (return the
browser type) of IE and everything works fine. Other
sites need IE because they run IE ActiveX controls.
Most of the shopping sites I've used don't care what
browser you use (as it should be).

If you are an early adopter or development type you
can go for more ActiveX info regarding using ActiveX
controls in mozilla at:
http://www.iol.ie/~locka/mozilla/control.htm
http://www.iol.ie/~locka/mozilla/plugin.htm

One final note: if you do use both linux and windows I
have found cygwin to be a godsend. http://cygwin.com/
It is a shell/command line running under windows just
like the command line in linux. It has a great many
programs available for it, would help in moving from
linux to windows (you learn commands that work in
both), and offers command line options that the
windows cmd shell will never give you. I.e., you could
run a list 'ls' command with the right flags or
diskusage 'du' command and get that disk filespace
information you were seeking.

Sorry to speak so much, I had a few minutes during
lunch to respond.

Be well,

Norman

http://sbc.yahoo.com