Re: Our Free Operating $y$tem

I haven't used up2date recently, and not at all since I upgraded to RH9.
I can, however, tell you that all the upgrade rpm packages remain
available without restriction. You can even rpm them over an ftp
connection, if you like. That's what I've been doing recently.

Lee Maschmeyer writes:
> From: Lee Maschmeyer <Lee_Maschmeyer@xxxxxxxxx>
>
> Hi all,
>
> I surely do hope I'm wrong in the conclusions I reached last weekend; if
> anyone can poke a hole in this please DO!
>
> I had been using Red Hat 8, enjoying updates on my demo account and
> feeling only slightly guilty in doing so. Since support for this system
> will expire at the end of December I decided to upgrade to version 9 so
> I'd get an additional year of updates. Bad move!
>
> In the first place, support for version 9 will expire at the end of
> April, 2004, so this move gained only four months of support. Much worse
> than that, though, I am no longer entitled to use my demo account. The
> demo account was for version 8 only and cannot be moved from version 8
> to 9. To be able to use the Update Agent (up2date) on version 9 I have
> to subscribe to the basic service which is $60 a year. If I'm not
> mistaken, I won't even be able to hand download new patches when I see
> them (if I'm permitted to see them) in the errata list.
>
> Admittedly I'm least sure of this last part, but even what precedes it
> is most disappointing.
>
> Can anybody restore tranquility to my jangled nerves? Please? And if I'm
> right in all this, have I inadvertently stumbled into a group of rich
> folks who thumb their noses at a mere sixty bucks a year?
>
> Thanks much,
>
> Lee

				Janina Sajka, Director
				Technology Research and Development