Re: Editing Control Characters, Linefeeds, Etc.

John,

Emacs can do this, though it's taken me six months to find out how and I
may not be doing it the best way (part of the reason I'm responding).

To enter a control character, precede it with a C-Q. To replace all
occurrences of a string after Point, use the replace-string function.

For example: Recently I had to repair a Web Braille file (Captains
Courageous) with faulty end-of-page sequences that my bb.sh script
couldn't handle. The key sequence was as follows:

C-M-< (top-of-file)
M-xreplace-s<tab> (resulted in replace-string)
<Enter>
^q^m^q^l
<enter>
^q^m^q^j^q^l
<enter>

All done.

I've been using emacs for the past 6 months solid and am still by no
means fond of its interface, but it seems to be able to do lots of
stuff if you have a few lifetimes to find out how.

On a very distantly-related note, how can people not on Debian handle
Debian packages? I tried once getting edbrowse but got depressed
before figuring out how to deal with .deb files. No fair cheating by
telling me I don't need the Debian distribution; I want to know about
.deb files whether or not it's necessary in this case. <Grin>

Thanks and hope this helps,

Lee

On Tue, Jun 03, 2003 at 10:51:28AM -0500, John J. Boyer wrote: > Hello,