Not visiting X at boot revisited: especially for debian users

When I rebooted a couple of hours ago I had problems; I couldn't log in. I don't
know for sure if changing the runlevel added to or just didn't fix the problem
of having xdm on my system, but I removed xdm and x-window-system and
changed
the run level back to "2" and  the
problem stopped happening. So I did some looking at dpkg options and came up
with this:
dpkg -r xdm --ignore-depends=x-sindow-system
(all on one line)
and when that worked I went on to do the same thing with -P (purge).
I realize that overriding dependencies can be dangerrous, so if anybody does
this and there are dire consequences, don't come to me for remuneration of any
kind if your installation is hosed. However, I have rebooted a couple of times
9to be sure it is safe) and have run gnopernicus, and both I and my linux system
appear to be intact.

Cheryl