Re: Diagnosing ABT320 Braille Terminal

On Fri, 9 May 2003, John J. Boyer wrote:

> Nicolas,
>
> Where do I find documentation on the Alva built-in menus? Most of what I
> know I've learned by trial and error, and I haven't been able to find
> where to set the baud rate, etc.

Well... some documentation came on a floppy disk along with the DOS software
when I got my ABT340 about 10 years ago.  I don't know for sure where that
disk might be now.

But if that can help you, here's what I have on my ABT340.

When I press PROG+HOME+CURSOR I see:

rec play stat setup

Pressing on a routing key above "setup" gives:

ser vol sl bt test

Then pressing on a routing key above "ser" I get:

   ser2    ser1

Then, selecting "ser2" for example, I get:

alva     non-alva

Selecting "non-alva" gives me:

braille 'n speak par

And finally selecting "par" gives:

baud len stop par

Here selecting "baud" allows you to change the baudrate using the RIGHT and
DOWN keys.  Yes this key selection is odd.

Then, to go back each menu levels you press the PROG key until you get back
to your BRLTTY session.

Beware.  The ABT340 has two serial ports so it's wiser to play with settings
on the port you're not using then switch the serial cable when you're done.
To select which port the display should expect braille data to come through,
you just need to enter the first menu level with PROG+HOME+CURSOR and press
the routing key above one of the 3 letters in the status cells at the left
end of the display.  Those 3 letters are "p21" for parallel, serial2 or
serial1 respectively.

Hope it helps.

Nicolas