Reading web braille boks online

Hi all,

Feeling the need for a text reader with a bookmark facility to keep
track of where I stopped reading documents, I decided to practice script
writing and wrote my own. The result is called bb.sh, and I'll send it
to anyone who wants a laugh out of reading newbie scripts or who might
even want to read Web Braille with it.

When I tested it on a Solaris server it blew up immediately and
vociferously, so it's probably not very portable. I have it running on
Red Hat 8. It does the following:

1. Uses resizecons to format the screen at 28 lines. This is needed to
   give the cursor room below the 25th line on the page.

2. Looks for a bookmark file (the document name preceded by a dot and
   followed by .bb.bmk) and, if it finds one, positions the text so
   approximately the last-viewed page is visible. It works well if the
   book is nicely formatted at 25 lines. It's less accurate but not too
   bad if there are no formfeeds in the text.

3. Each time the user presses <return>, it displays text either to the
   next FormFeed or until 27 lines have been displayed. It keeps track
   of the bottom line's line number in the bookmark file so when
   restarted it can go to that page.

As I said, it's not very robust. The only way to go backwards is to edit
the bookmark file and set it to a lower number. You must also have write
permission for the directory containing the document so the bookmark
file can be updated. I'm sure there are other nasties waiting to be
discovered. Remember, I've used only Red Hat 8...

I'd appreciate critiques (presumably off-list) from anyone who can
suggest improvements, and I'd be interested in (but probably not able to
help with) bug reports. Please write me at lee_maschmeyer@xxxxxxxxxx

I hope somebody likes (or at least uses) it...

Lee