Re: Fetchmail help

On Wed, 2 Apr 2003, John J. Boyer wrote:

> I forgot to say that .fetchmailrc must have execute
> mode set. After you create this file do:
> chmod 710 .fetchmail

Having to have execute permissions on a configuration
file should be suspect.  In the unlikely event that
such really turns out to be necessary, one should
suspect that the programmer is a relative neophyte, and
the application is probably pre-alpha quality -- likely
not worth one's time.  But fetchmail is one of the
finest pieces of open source out there, led by a
project leader that is famous all over the world, and
not just for his software.  So you know that you need
no such permission on that file.  I use it all the time
with normal permissions, and have for years.  It can
contain passwords, so should not be world readable (and
will refuse to run with bad permissions).  So the above
chmod command above probably really only satisfied the
safe read permissions requirement, and the execute bit
is a useless artifact.  "chmod 600 ~/.fetchmailrc"
would do as well (I assume the mispelling of the
filename above was a typo).

And running fetchmail in daemon mode every 15 minutes
is a luxury for those affluent enough for a more or
less dedicated or always-on higher speed connection.
That's the nice thing about fetchmail: it can be
configured to work for you no matter what your
situation, protocol, email providers, userbase, or
network size (up to a certain point for that last).
You can leave out the daemon stuff, and just start
fetchmail up from the command line, whenever you want
to check for mail, or have a cron job run it
automatically at reasonable intervals, perhaps at
night.  There are example scripts that come with the
package to fit a variety of situations, in
/usr/share/doc/fetchmail-*/contrib/ on a Red Hat
system.

LCR

--
L. C. Robinson