Re: textmode not going away and mime security (was: Re: .mailcapand mutt

On Sat, 29 Mar 2003, Martin McCormick wrote:

> The thing I find interesting is that the new
> Macintosh OS-X now has a command line mode in
> addition to the GUI.

Likely impractical to avoid (not that they would want
to), since it is a BSDish Unixen, and can run linux
stuff.  But of course that is no doubt largely
invisible to the average user (as it can be on linux as
well).

And remember that the lack of a unix like scripting and
remote text mode environment for M$ windows server
environments, for administration and automation, was a
sufficient problem that M$ bought out an old company
that made a set of such tools for that environment, and
made those (some say inferior) tools available as a
typically pricey add on.

> I hear normally-sighted computer users say that some
> things really are easier in command mode than they
> are in GUI mode because you have tighter control
> over complex operations.

It's even better than that, for those who know the
command line.  Both GUI and text mode are available at
the same time, and depending on the context and
operation, both simple and complex tasks can be easier
in text mode.  Of course repetitive tasks can be
automated and simplified fairly easily with simple and
complex scripts, aliases, and the like, where the GUI
would be a real pain to use.  For instance, just ask
yourself if you would rather navigate a text mode menu
or file manager to find a file when you can't remember
the full name: in the zsh shell you can find it in any
subdirectory by something like "ls **/*some*name*".
After all, much of the GUI mode is just (often more
cryptic) menus.

And there are many things that would be nearly
impossible or impractical in GUI mode, that are
relatively simple with text.  Except that the script
and text environments are powerful enough to support a
GUI interface, when desired: much GUI stuff is
scripted, or even uses a text and/or script backend
that can be used standalone, so the dividing line is
blurred, and generalizations easily break down.

LCR