.mailcap and mutt

Hi,

In the category of "what everybody else ought to know and probably does":

I just discovered at least a partial cure for my seeming inability to
receive HTML messages, or at least some of them. Often when trying to
read a message I'd get an error approximately like:

Text/html not supported; use 'v' to see this part

Pressing v gave me a list of attachments (usually only one), but when I
hit Enter on it the computer just sat there. If I hit Enter repeatedly
it still just sat there. If I used ^c to get out of the viewer I'd get
what appeared to be HTML source with escape sequences for GUI display.

Through a circuitous process I discovered that I needed to create a
.mailcap file containing the following command:

text/html; /usr/bin/htmlview -dump %s ; copiousoutput

Without the -dump switch, htmlview displays the source instead of
decoding it as we Mutt users would expect.

I'm curious as to what other .mailcap dodges people have found necessary
in text mode.

Whether we like it or not, Linux is going GUI, folks. Text mode is
already a poor relation and it'll get poorer, just as it did when DOS
with Windows on it evolved into Windows with a bare nod toward DOS. If
"I've looked at clouds from both sides now", I fear I know them all too
well. :-(

Lee