Re: talking rescue CD roms

I think your last option is the best, with a slight modification from the
former options.

If you use a boot loader, you can probably find one that will let you
specify the root device at runtime.  Then, have it access the FS on CD,
load kernel, etc.; or have it load a kernel with an initrd, and do as you
suggest.

Luke