Debian Talking Install?

I would aagree that a default "don't speak" configuration option would
be helpful. That would obviate the need to press the numeric enter key
to shut the synth up during boot, but preserve the parallel effect of
pressing Escape.

I think the reason that "speaks from boot" is given in support Speakup
is that it's the easiest to give and defend. It happens Speakup is also
extremely useful aat the shell prompt, less so in document editing,
where it's lack of good cursor tracking puts it well behind emacspeak.
Thing is, there's really nothing else in speech that's any better.

Another extremely strong point is that Speakup is very eaasy to learn.
Extremely easy. There's a lot of paayback there for new users. And, this
even benefits the user starting to learn emacs, because it's possible to
have both speakup and emacspeak active at the same time. I do this, and
use Insert+Enter on the numeric to silence Speakup in my emacs session.
I don't know emacspeak well enough to trust that I'll hear, or be able
to hear again, what happened on screen.

--

				Janina Sajka, Director
				Technology Research and Development