Debian Talking Install?

Luke Davis <ldavis@shellworld.net> writes:

> Does Debian support a talking install out of the box, such as Slackware's
> terminal mode?

Unfortunately not yet.  I'm working on getting Speakup into
the Unstable distribution and into the new Debian Installer.

But since I'm not owning any speakup compatible device I'm desperately
looking either for:

1. Speakup users who have Debian, and can report if stuff works!
2. A sponsor who could lend me a speakup-capable hardware synthesizer
for testing purposes.

I know this doesn't directly help you, but I hope I'll be able to
increase the level of blind support in Debian dramatically for the next
release.  I'm still quite alone at that job, but till now, it turned out to
work quite smoothly.  full brltty support for cdrom install is just
some hacks away, and speakup should be relatively easy too, since there
is already a kernel-patch-speakup package in unstable, and a prebuilt
kernel-image-2.4.20-speakup is awaiting processing by ftpmasters.

That, just as a little status report for interested people.

--
CYa,