LINUX AND ANTI-VIRUS SOFTWARE

On Fri, 24 Jan 2003, technomage wrote:

> On Friday 24 January 2003 09:32 pm, you wrote:
> > This last post could easily be misinterpreted
> > because of some vague and ambiguous statements.
> > The simple truth is that unless you are a system
> > administrator running a linux based mail-server
> > gateway to a network of M$-Windoze machines, and
> > know exactly why you are running antivirus software
> > on your linux mail-server, you are wasting your
> > time running anti-virus software, period.

> is it?

Perhaps some clarification is appropriate here: what
generally goes under the name of a "virus scanner" in
the linux world is just email gateway filtering for
M$-Win specific virii, to block out problems for that
kind of client network.  If I remember right, the
original poster was asking about where to get such, and
I thought that that it was just the normal newbie
carry-over of MS-Windoze thinking.  Useful security
strategy for linux, in the context of the original
query, is generally of a different nature, and goes
under other names.  I was trying to redirect that
individual to more appropriate and useful security
information sources, without taking us into an off
topic security discussion, which I have no desire to
carry.

> > There are, for any practical purpose, no true viruses
> > for linux (the few that have been demonstrated are
> > mostly theoretical, because they can't reproduce well
> > enough to be a practical threat).

> I regret to inform you that this statement is false.
> there are, in fact 12 virii and 37 variants therein
> for various distributions of linux. I should know, I
> have had to trubleshoot a few linux boxes that did,
> in fact, have virus infections.

I suspect that this claim is based on a terminological
misunderstanding, as would be indicated by you further
comments below?  At any rate, regardless of whether you
are talking about virii, trojan horses, or other
vulnerablities, the numbers above are bogus, probably
based on some poorly researched press reports several
months ago.  LWN.net published some followup reports
that gave a much truer picture, actually producing far
higher numbers, but showing why the numbers are
misleading in any event.  But a discussion of the
details are off topic: please take any discussion of
this nature to a more appropriate forum, as I suggested
before -- I'm not interested in a debate.

What follows is just repeated quotes, for reference.

LCR

--
L. C. Robinson
reply to no_spam+munged_lcr@onewest.net.invalid

People buy MicroShaft for compatibility, but get incompatibility and
instability instead.  This is award winning "innovation".  Find
out how MS holds your data hostage with "The *Lens*"; see
"CyberSnare" at http://www.netaction.org/msoft/cybersnare.html