A quesiton about pdf to text conversion

Hi Listers:

there are two pdf to text conversion programs available in the Red Hat
linux distribution:
    pdf2txt
    pstotext
(I'm not sure of the exact names off the top of my head but these are
close.)

I've encountered a problem in converting PDF files to text using these two
programs.  For some reason I don't understand, the conversion does not put
on separate lines text that appears on separate lines on the printed page,
but rather puts them all on the same line.  This is disconcerting
especially when it comes to shell programming code.

Is there a way to fix this problem sothat indented text appears on
separate lines?  the programs seem to look for a blank line to denote the
end of the paragraph so to speak.

thanks for your feedback on this problem.
Barbara Wagreich