Choosing a linux distribution

Anyone tried suse with speakup? Will it work, and where can talking
kernels/bootdisks be gotten? I have no braille display, or the money to buy
one for that matter, so the built-in blinux program is out.
I heard suse has really good config tools too. I tried debian once, but it
gives too many errors, and fails to boot, errors start in the installation
where it needs the drivers and modules, and continue through the
installation of the base system, and I end up with a failed install. I'm
not sure if debian is just that buggy or what's wrong with it, but
preparing for dos install seems to fail, probably had a tarball in the
wrong directory.