streaming audio

Does the mplayer one play the new windows media files like version 7 and
up? I had downloaded a file from kasaa that was windows media, and it
needed a license, ironically when I hit a certain link on the page, I was
able to get it downloaded to my system with no effort hardly at all, just
hit the migrate button on that page and it works, but some files like that
won't play, why attempt to distribute files on kasaa that nobody can even
use besides in a rare condition that you get the license.