Swapping hard drives

Title: Swapping hard drives

Hi All,

   I don't see anyway I'll be able to buy a PC next year for home use; so, I wonder whether this idea will work?

   My wife has a PC at home, with Windows on it. Can I move the current hard drive to another drive bay and have a new hard drive installed in the original's place, having Linux installed on it plus a program launcher which offers the choice of booting up with Linux or Windows? If my wife chooses Windows, wouldn't the launching program boot from the old C drive which would now be given another letter? In other words, there's nothing on the current C drives which irrevocably mark them as C, is there?

Thanks,

Walt