Re: UNINSTALLING LINUX PACKAGES

Darrell:

Correct for rpm. The command being rpm -e [package name]

But, incorrect for "manual install," by which I believe you're referring
to the usual ./configure, make, make install procedure? You can usually
do make uninstall.

Tidy, huh?

Darrell Shandrow writes:
> From: "Darrell Shandrow" <nu7i@azboss.net>
>
> Hi Michael,
>
> Well, if you're using a distro like Red Hat, you could use the rpm utility
> to uninstall any packages that were originally installed using rpm.
> Otherwise, for any packages you manually build and install on the box, you
> would need to manually remove everything associated with the package in
> order to uninstall.  Nevertheless, I'd say that uninstallation on Linux
> would be much cleaner than Windows, especially if you must manually
> uninstall something, since you easily have the opportunity to understand
> exactly where everything gets installed in the first place.

				Janina Sajka, Director
				Technology Research and Development
				Governmental Relations Group
				American Foundation for the Blind (AFB)