Re: lilo and beep again

It depends on what you have in /boot/message (or, in your example, perhaps /boot/beep).

To get the beeps, you need a Ctrl-G char (or two or three), in the file. Best way, imho, is to use the echo command along the lines of:

echo -e \a "Welcome to Linux" \a >/boot/message

Also, you might want a serial command to get speech at the Boot> prompt. Maybe not.
But, if so, put this in lilo.conf at the end of the header just before you specify the kernels:

serial=0,9600N8

Adjust the first 0 according the to appropriate ttyS? port.

RAYNER Peter writes:
> From: RAYNER Peter <peter.rayner@csiro.au>
>
> Ok, I thought I knew how to do this but it doesn't seem to work.
> I'd like the machine to beep before OS choice on boot-up.
> Here's my lilo.conf file
> boot=/dev/hda
> map=/boot/map
> install=/boot/boot.b
> prompt
> timeout=50
> #message=/boot/message
> message=/boot/beep
> linear
> default=linux
>
> image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.2-2
> 	label=linux
> 	read-only
> 	root=/dev/hda5
>
> other=/dev/hda1
> 	label=windows
> and my /boot/beep file simply contains the one character ctrl-g
> '\007', however you want to put it.
>
> I've rerun lilo again as root and do indeed get a new /boot/map
> file.
> But running
> shutdown -h now
> then powering up from cold doesn't seem to produce a  beep.
> Anyone spot the mistake?
> This, btw, is on  a Dell L400 under RH7.1.
> thanks again
> Peter

				Janina Sajka, Director
				Technology Research and Development