Re: viavoice & Newer Distributions ( Re: a synth question.](

John Heim writes:

> At 12:21 PM 11/10/2002 -0500, Janina Sajka wrote:
> >Date: Sun, 10 Nov 2002 12:01:35 -0500
>
> >In recent years many of us have used an IBM software called ViaVoice with
> >emacspeak. ViaVoice is no longer available
> >officially from IBM, though copies can be found on the Internet.
> >Increasingly, however, this older ViaVoice no longer works with newer
> >Linux distributions.
>
> Janina,
>
> Would you expand on this please? I was planning on upgrading my Redhat
> machine from 7.1 to 8.0 in order to keep up with what I am using at work.
> Should I be afraid?
No, I think "afraid" is the wrong term. You should just not expect to
use ViaVoice any longer. Instead, compile and use flite and eflite with
emacspeak and/or yasr, or Speakup with a hardware synth, or both or all
three.

What I have found is that ViaVoice seg faults under 8.0. I've seen this
on at least three machines. I've sent a report to IBM on the chance that
ViaVoice will be back. I believe it may come back with gnopernicus, but
that's a tomorrow sort of thing.

Meanwhile, I would certainly upgrade to 8.0 today. Just switch your
software speech.

http://eflite.sf.net

will have all the pointers you need.