A QUESTION ABOUT LINUX AND SPEAKUP

Hi!
If I were to use Speakup for Linux, is there a hardware synthesiser I could
use which is internal rather than taking up space on a desk?
I ask because I used to have an Apolo 2 symthesiser or correction I still
have it only I can't find the connector to attach it to a PC and it used to
take up a fair bit of space.
Hope someone could help.
I don't know when I am going to run Linux exactly yet as I am waiting to
apply for a flat which would give me more space for high speed Internet
access and maybe for the equipment I have.  At the moment I am only in a
small bedroom and dad had to design the work surface I have to fit the size
of my small room and so the speakers I have for my latest PC take up the
room I used to use for my Apolo synthesiser when I used it on my first PC.